• Welcome

    This is our corner of the Internet. We're happy here. We're definitely "we" -- this blog is a group project. We all post as "My Own". This is where we write the things we can't say on our own blogs for one reason or another. We hope you like it here as much as we do. We hope you'll stick around.

    Buton

  • At my work, I am the person responsible for collecting money and keeping coffee supplies stocked.  About a month ago, I happened to see an employee who does not contribute to the fund, scoop some coffee grindes for his own use.  I did not confront the guy nor did I report it to my boss.  But I did do something.  I started an investigation.

    I started keeping the coffee locked in my office.  I also kept a closer eye on how much coffee we use.  Over time, it became obvious a few people were dipping into our stash.  There was too much missing for only one person to be helping themselves.  (Especially the day where half a can of coffee was suddenly used up.)  I sent an office memo informing people of what I've noticed and asked for suggestions.  This created conversation and I did mention to a couple of so-called trusted people what I had seen.  But I also said there had to be others involved because of the quantity being taken.  That and the fact that many other things in the school go missing including food and kitchen supplies.  After a couple of weeks of discussion, one person made a suggestion.  Her idea was to paste a list of contributors to the fund.  Apparently, that's helped in the past.

    Anyway, fast forward to yesterday... As I was leaving work, the guy who I saw take the coffee asked if he could talk to me.  He brings me to his office under the stairs, offers me a seat and sits behind his desk.  It felt like I was being called to the principal's office.  "You know about all this coffee going missing business? Yeah, well, I hear someone is saying that I've been taking coffee.  Now, I admit I took it.  And it ain't right.  But I always replaced what I took!  This one time I even brought in a big can and put it up in the cupboard.  So, yeah... I don't appreciate people saying that I took coffee, even though I did because I put it back.  OK!?"
     
    I looked at him and asked, "Are you upset about this?" 

    He answers, "No.  I just don't want people beaking off about me!"

    I then said, "Ok, then.  The next time I talk about, or hear people talk about you taking coffee, I'll make sure they also know you say you've always returned what you took."  He agrees.

    While walking home, I couldn't help thinking about the absurdity I had just experienced.  I couldn't wait to share the funny story of "the guy at work who's upset people are telling the truth about him" with my husband when he got home.

    1 comments:

    Megan said...

    How ridiculous. Why doesn't he just join the coffee club if he wants to drink the office coffee?

    This is why I bought myself a mini-fridge at work. Several offices ago, I worked in a place that had fridge drama. It was never clean enough, or cleared often enough, or secure enough. And then there were the constant disputes about who was the last to wash the dishes and who owed money for sugar. That little fridge removed me from the fridge drama and made life just a little bit easier. It was a great investment.

    rss
    rss


    Copyright © 2010 The Web That Is My Own

    Wordpress Theme By : Retro Design Studio