• Welcome

    This is our corner of the Internet. We're happy here. We're definitely "we" -- this blog is a group project. We all post as "My Own". This is where we write the things we can't say on our own blogs for one reason or another. We hope you like it here as much as we do. We hope you'll stick around.

    Buton

  • So I met this guy the other night.

    Some of us were having drinks and this girl I know told her cousin to come along after his salsa class. When they came through the door, I was shocked. I thought he was her husband and I swelled up with pride for her and thought "wow, she's amazing -- she's built a happy family with this man in a wheelchair"

    I'm not really proud that's what I thought when I first saw him, but it's the truth. On one hand, it really would have been an amazing, incredible feat. She's got 4 little kids and fosters other ones every now and then, and that would be a lot to juggle, even if neither parents were in a wheelchair. But on the other hand, how absolutely rude is it for me to think it would be a compromise on her part? How short-sighted to think "wow, he must really be a great guy to make their relationship worth that obstacle!"

    Of course, it turns out, the guy wasn't her husband. He was her cousin.
    And of course, it turns out, he's super nice, and smart.
    Not to mention good looking (dare I say it?) in spite of the wheelchair.

    It also turns out I actually knew who the guy was. He's well-known where I live, he's been raising money for Muscular Dystrophy. He has a catchy name for his cause, and eventually I put the two together.

    So he's driven too.
    And finds a way to go to a salsa class even though he's in a wheelchair (he can walk with a cane -- I later found this out).

    All of those things are very very very attractive to me.

    Tonight, his cousin comes up to me and tells me as soon as the left the day before, he told her he thought I was cute and such. He of course asked her not to tell -- but she couldn't resist.

    When she told me, I just blushed many shades of scarlet and I couldn't stop grinning. I had a feeling he was interested, but it's always hard for me to read that line between guys who find me amusing, and those who are actually interested.

    We happen to be going to be at the same place again tomorrow night. I'll see him again for sure. It feels like it's been so long since I've done this, I'm not even sure how to deal with it. I'm so used to being around married people that I've stopped trying to figure out how this dating thing is supposed to work.

    And while I'm hardly a traditionalist, I really do hope he asks me out.

    3 comments:

    Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

    Ohhhh!!! Flirt your heart out tomorrow! Hope it results in a date!

    Anonymous said...

    Woo hoo! This guy sounds fantastic - have fun and enjoy the ride!! I dated a guy in a wheelchair for a shot while. It gave me a great insight into a different perspective that I never would have had otherwise, which I'm grateful for.

    Megan said...

    Yes! Come back and tell us all about it!

    rss
    rss


    Copyright © 2010 The Web That Is My Own

    Wordpress Theme By : Retro Design Studio