• Welcome

    This is our corner of the Internet. We're happy here. We're definitely "we" -- this blog is a group project. We all post as "My Own". This is where we write the things we can't say on our own blogs for one reason or another. We hope you like it here as much as we do. We hope you'll stick around.

    Buton

  • I absolutely hate them.

    I can't say this on my own site because at any particular time, I have at least one friend who is planning her wedding. (It's always "her" wedding.) My dislike for weddings has absolutely nothing to do with any individual and much more to do with my sense that weddings are self-indulgent parties for people who are rather blatant about wanting to be the center of attention. If I told you that I was planning a party and that you had to wear a certain color, and pay attention to ME all night long, and not do anything that would upstage me, you would think I was crazy. But if I invite you to my wedding, you will think nothing of the same insane requests.

    I love my friends who have gotten married. I can't blame them for getting swept into the craziness that comes with that diamond ring. But just once, I'd like to get an invitation to a barbecue reception. Wear your jeans and bring your swimming trunks.

    6 comments:

    Tina said...

    If I ever get married again, I'm SOO doing the bbq reception. And I'll make sure to invite you as long as you bring beer. :)

    Anonymous said...

    I totally agree.

    13 years ago we ran away to get married and no one was invited.

    Still married. :)

    Anonymous said...

    I'll bring beer.

    Anonymous said...

    I hate going to weddings because I'm usually jealous that they aren't mine. There's only so much happiness that can come through past the jealousy.

    Anonymous said...

    We had two... and it's NOT because I'm greedy, but it was because one was in New Zealand and one was in Canada.

    The one here was immediate family only. Then we had a bbq at my in-laws' house. Our reception to celebrate with our friends was in a park; everyone wore jeans and we kicked back and relaxed. It was perfect.

    In a different way, our Canadian reception was also perfect. Yes, it was self indulgent and I'll totally wear that... and what we liked least was being the centre of attention. But it was fun. It was fantastic to be with my family that I hadn't seen in years and friends that I haven't seen in a decade and we danced and drank and it was also perfect.

    I watched a show the other day where the bride and groom had a sports wedding and went golfing - I thought that sounded fun. Maybe for #3? :)

    Megan said...

    Yeah, we had two, too: one in Maine and one in Newfoundland. Each was exactly what our parents wanted it to be. I wasn't even involved in the planning for the one in Newfoundland.

    I was 20 and not courageous enough to be vocal about what I really wanted. At one point, I pitched the idea of a laid-back wedding at my uncle's camp. My soon-to-be-in-laws reacted with horror: we MUST get married in a church!

    rss
    rss


    Copyright © 2010 The Web That Is My Own

    Wordpress Theme By : Retro Design Studio