• Welcome

    This is our corner of the Internet. We're happy here. We're definitely "we" -- this blog is a group project. We all post as "My Own". This is where we write the things we can't say on our own blogs for one reason or another. We hope you like it here as much as we do. We hope you'll stick around.

    Buton

  • There was a bake sale at work the other day. We have them often; they raise money for the kick-ass Christmas parties we have every year.

    I walked in and saw a boardroom table laden with goodies: brownies, cookies, pies. And in that second, inside my head, I saw myself eating ALL of it.

    I backed away, but it was already too late; you can't really walk into a bake sale and walk out again unnoticed. I had to explain myself.

    So I made some lame joke about not wanting to eat everything (which was true) and said that I have a problem with food (which was also true). I really should just shut up.

    My co-worker, who is larger than I am, was not impressed.

    I was not always this size, and it's easy for people to forget that I lost a third of my body weight a few years ago through ten months of hard work and dieting. I still struggle with the urge to overeat, and I KNOW that I could have eaten everything on that table without a second thought. I am not a skinny bitch, I swear. I am a skinny glutton.

    I used to think that people who talked about being sober alcoholics were weirdos. If you're sober, you're not an alcoholic, right? I now know exactly what they mean. They're talking about the constant struggle to fight off the urge to do something they don't want to do and yet DESPERATELY want to do. I was insensitive to question their description of that struggle, even inside my head.

    People at work have said that I have great willpower. This is usually in the context of bake sales or someone's birthday cake. They don't realize that I have absolutely no willpower at all. If I ate some of the cake, I wouldn't be able to stop myself from eating far too much of it. It's easier to walk away and pretend that I have some self-control.

    2 comments:

    Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

    I am the exact same way. People have asked me lately to bake stuff, but I have turned them down. I know that if I start baking food, I will be shoving into my face as fast as I bake it. I am trying to so hard to avoid situations like that.

    Good for you for realizing where your weaknesses are and for learning how to work through them.

    Jackie S. Quire said...

    You are looking out for yourself, and your health. It's not your fault if other people feel bad because they've not done the same.
    Especially since it's not like you made some kind of comment about your co-worker's eating habits, just yours.
    Do what you need to do to.
    (But I agree with those who say you have incredible willpower, because you do).

    rss
    rss


    Copyright © 2010 The Web That Is My Own

    Wordpress Theme By : Retro Design Studio